Thursday 6 November 2008

The Story So Far

Hi,

Name's Jon and I will be sharing my journey through the poker world, gaming and life in general.

Principally I will be sharing my poker journey as I try to make my fortune at the virtual tables.

On New Year's day 2005 I hit my head giving me concussion which lasted 3 months. I had to stay off work as I could do very little without feeling dizzy. I decided that to aid my recovery I would play poker on line so I took the plunge and deposited $25 into Pacific Poker.

I decided that limit poker was to be my forte and I first set about learning the starting hands and going from there. I had already played a bit for play money and had made a few thousand play dollars so I felt confident I could beat the low stakes games.

I ran my initial stake of $25 up to $14000 by late 2007.

I only played limit texas holdem and mostly played 1 or 2 tables.

In late 2007 I started to run bad to be fair to myself a big chunk of my losses came from Royal Card Club on the microgaming network going bust. I was on a 100bb downswing at the time which is about $2000 at $10/20 Limit Poker.

100 Big Bets is nothing at those limits but the loss of another $1500 with RCC going under left me $3500 down in a month.

This made me re-evaluate my position in the poker world, for me $10000 is a lot of money and I didn't want to run bad and have it all gobbled up in a month of running bad. I could see how volatile the games were at $10/20 and even though I had faith in my game I saw that that amount of money could come in handy and I decided to cash out and get married, which is exactly what I have done.

The money has paid for an engagement ring, a good chunk of my wedding and a slice of the honeymoon so Poker has changed my life for the better.

I left myself $200 in my account and am now trying to build it back up.

I have started to play No Limit Texas Holdem to rebuild as it will help me to stay motivated to crush the smaller games with learning a new skill. I considered playing limit but it was doing my head in playing 25/50c limit against the idiots as low stakes limit is no foldem holdem!

I am now going to try to get my bankroll back and get started towards playing semi pro.

Wish me luck!




I

No comments: