Sunday 24 May 2009

Hands against my brother

Well god knows not to play cards with family but here we go.

Now my brother and I are good friends, however the following sequence plus a few added crunches makes this mad.

3 handed home game 2 gbp buyin no rebuys no addons.

Ahh so my I'm playing with Andy who I categorize as loose aggressive. He will basically call until the turn or river with any 2 cards and if he sniffs weakness will try to take you off your hand. My brother is more or less TAP he will limp big hands pre flop then if he hits will bet big on the following streets trying to suck you in. he also talks a good game and will try to manipulate especially a call through verbals. He likes to pretend that he doesn't understand the game when he has a sound grasp of it.
Tough game by anybody's standards. Plus my brother has a pregnant wife, he has a 2 year old already and he wants my mum to move to a very expensive part of town to help look after his kids, which she can't afford. I have offered to front my mum some cash so that she can afford to live in this expensive area. This does not appear to have gone down well with my brother as he can't afford to make the same offer and his work is not going too good.

Okay so 2 hands pass by and I limp in the sb against my brother with k6d knowing that a raise is unlikely and that I will see a flop oop but with the superior hand the majority of the time. he calls and the flop comes K58 rainbow I donk bet he calls. I know that he is fairly tight post flop and will only put chips in on a sound basis but I think I'm still ahead. I donk bet knowing he will perceive this as a bluff. He calls. Turn is a 7 putting the str8 on the board but giving me the tp pr and str8 draw combo. I 'm happy so I bet he calls. He now more than likely has a hand but it's hard to gauge the exact strength. The river is a 3 and he checks. I check and he pushes all in. I believe he knows I have a king and he has still bets all in time to exit and i fold my king face up. He says wise man and mucks. Then a second hand ensues where I my brother limps utg sb folds and I check with 84o in the bb. Flop 856 rainbow. I check he bets. I call. Turn K. I check he checks. River he bets 6/10 of the pot. I, after some deliberation and trash talk from my brother call to be shown q8 to beat my 84.

Then I fold on the button my brother limps in the sb and Andy checks. Now im out of the hand and dealing. The flop is a K82 rainbow and a bet comes from my brother followed by a call. Turn is an offsuit 8 again bet call. River 2 my brother checks and Andy moves in. Andy has already been caught with his hand in the cookie jar this evening and could be at it again.

Well now the battle of nerves ensues. I'm sure they are both strong, Ady, my brother, puts chips in the pot and then withdraws them. I call foul stating that he had called by putting his chips in the middle. An argument ensued in which, rightly,I told my brother he had called by putting his chips in the middle. he refused to honour the bet, I explained the string bet rule to no avail and my brother was allowed to fold with no penalty. I knew he had a read off Andy from putting his chips in the middle.

I few hands later Andy coughed to having trip kings. I told my brother that he knew what Andy had and that he gained an unfair advantage. He swore on his sons life that he hadn't and I said he had! Now because I had opposed his son's life in a a matter of opinion I was suddenly the bad guy and my brother threatened to smash my face in. I'm used to violence and was unfased by this however my brother wouldn't let it lie. I admitted that he might not have known for sure that Andy had trip kings but I maintained that he had gained an unfair advantage by his actions. Well this set the touch paper once and for all,. I had disrespected his son's life and I was in the wrong. Andy offered the 2 pounds back all round and I left the arena to go home to my wife.

Now my brother and I don't appear to be friends, all through a couple of hands of poker! I quite like a bit of conflict and a bit of mind games over the table and for me all's fair in love and war but this went a bridge too far.

I think my brother is jealous because i offered my mum some financial assistance over the house, to my mum, but I didn't realize the reaction I was going to get.

Pretty hardcore, I'll let you know how it pans out but I haven't had a fallout like that with my brother since I was 16.(20 years ago).

No comments: